Reading From A People’s History of the United States Commemorating the Millionth Copy Sold
Alice Walker, Kurt Vonnegut, Danny Glover, James Earl Jones and Others Read at Special Event
Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States was first published 23 years ago. The millionth copy of the book was recently sold. To celebrate this feat a group of actors, writers and editors recently gathered for a public reading of the book. The cast included Alice Walker, Kurt Vonnegut, Danny Glover and James Earl Jones.
- James Earl Jones on telling the history of the U.S. from the standpoint of others
- Harris Yulin reads Christopher Columbus’ log meeting the Arowaks
- Andre Gregory on the Spaniards acting like ‘ravenous beasts’ in the island of Hispaniola
- Jeff Zinn, Howard Zinn’s son, reads the words of one of the participants in Shay’s rebellion in Western Massachusetts and
- Marisa Tomei reads the words of a girl working in the lower Massachusetts textile mills of 1836 where one of the first strikes of mill girls took place.
Democracy Now! • April 30, 2003